Sunday, January 29, 2012

Newspaper Nails Week 5 of the Year of Polish Challenge

What's black and white and "red" all over?  Newspapers, toerags, Captain Grimes, or if you used the NY Times...the "Old Grey Lady!"  I finally did some Newspaper Nails.  True, its simply because of this challenge but I've been seeing these all over the web and they were definitely on my need-to-try list. 

There are tutorials on how to do this all over Youtube so please check if you want to know how to do it.  Since I didn't have rubbing or drinking alcohol and water didn't seem to work I, um.. improvised!


Yep, this girl adapts!  I used astringent from my medicine cabinet:)






For these nails, I painted each nail with two coats of Skull & Glossbones.  After the nails were completely dry, I soaked each nail in the astringent for several seconds and then applied pieces of cut up newspaper.  I repeated the process with each nail and filled in the spots that didn't take with more newspaper.  To protect the newspaper ink, I coated each nail with Julep's Fast Drying Top Coat and then added a touch of SallyGirl iridescent glitter for some shine.

Pretty good for a first try! Can't wait to experiment more with this process:)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that's so awesome! Your nails turned out great. And I love the improvisation! You're crafty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice base coat and the glitter really does add to it.

    ReplyDelete